Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sochi 2014 Olympic Nail Art!


Hi everyone and Happy Winter Olympics!  Now I know that Sochi wasn't exactly prepared for the Olympics but I do love watching all the athletes compete.  So while watching the events I decided to do a last minute, super simple, Olympic themed nail art!  I settled on the Olympic rings (and not the failed snowflakes ones from Sochi) but the iconic colored ones.  So after a quick Google search to remember what colors the rings are I picked out there nail polishes:

From left to right: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear "Blue Me Away!", Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear "Mellow Yellow", Sally Hansen Hard As Nails "Black Heart", Sally Hansen Triple Shine "Kelp Out", and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear "Cherry Red."

So first I decided to paint my nails white because it makes for a nice base and the rings would be very visible.  I used two coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear's "White On."  I really like "White On" because it is opaque after two coats, and it fairly easy to apply.  I have had good luck with this white and it is my go to white nail polish!  Here's how my nails looked after two coats of "White On":


So after applying two coats of "White On" I used a quick drying top coat (Orly "Sec'N'Dry") to make my nails dry quicker which means less smudging when I do the rings.  Now the rings traditionally look like this:

Image found on Google.

But I decided to do a little bit of a twist on the rings.  Using my pointer finger, middle finger, ring finger and pinky I decided to put two rings on each.  And on my thumb I decided to write 2014, that way I remember which Olympics it is!   To do the rings I used a small paint brush and cleaned it between each color.  I decided on two rings per finger to show which colors overlap.  They turned out like a fun twist on French tips!  Here's how it turned out:


Overall this nail art is super simple and very easy to do!  I love how it turned out and it is a way to support all the completing athlete and not just one country!  Also I used almost all Sally Hansen nail polishes to show that nail art can be done with drugstore brands!  (I purchased each bottle for less than $5 or $6.)

Thanks for reading my blog and enjoy the rest of the Olympics!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment