Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Comparing butterLONDON "Jasper" and ULTA "Cream of the Crop"


Hi everyone!  I can hardly believe that February is nearly over and that pretty soon Spring will be here!  So while I was rummaging through my collection of polishes I discovered two pastel yellow nail polishes that looked very similar in their bottles and I decided to test them out to see if they were dupes.  The polishes are butterLONDON's "Jasper" and ULTA's "Cream of the Crop."  Here's how they looked next to each other in the bottles:


After looking at the bottles next to each other I guessed that they were not going to be identical but I went through with the test anyways.  butterLONDON's "Jasper" retails for about $15 (USD) and ULTA's "Cream of the Crop" ranges anywhere from $3-6 (USD) depending on the sale going on.  And with such a massive price difference I was curious which nail polish would be better.  The above picture shows the finished product of both polishes.  butterLONDON's "Jasper" only required two coats while ULTA's "Cream of the Crop" required three to get better coverage.  But I made sure to take pictures along the way, so here is what they looked like after one coat of nail polish each:


As you can see after one coat it became obvious that the butterLONDON nail polish was brighter in color and that the ULTA nail polish had a watery formula.  But as with all lighter colored polish the first coat and possibly the second can be somewhat streaky.  I continued on and here are what my nails looked like after two coats each:


After two coats of nail polish butterLONDON's "Jasper" looked completely opaque and had very minor streaking while ULTA's "Cream of the Crop" was somewhat see-through and full of steaks.  I decided at that point to add a third coat of "Cream of the Crop" which did help a bunch, but it did still have plenty of streaking after the third coat.

Overall while butterLONDON's Jasper" is very expensive compared to ULTA's "Cream of the Crop" I believe "Jasper" to be the better nail polish.  "Jasper" had better coverage in fewer coats, the formula was decent and the color is prettier than ULTA's "Cream of the Crop."  Plus "Cream of the Crop" has a very watery formula and requires at least three coats of polish to make it look okay.  I would definitely recommend butterLONDON's "Jasper" over ULTA's "Cream of the Crop."

Side note: I have already reviewed butterLONDON's "Jasper" on its own and here is the link to that post: http://perfectlypolished12.blogspot.com/2013/03/butterlondon-jasper.html  So feel free to check it out!  :)

Thanks for reading my blog!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment