Saturday, May 24, 2014

Disney's Pocahontas Nail Art!


Hi everyone!  So it has been a while since I have done any nail art, so I decided to change that!  I had been wanting to do another nail art post for a while but I couldn't decide what I wanted to try!  I spend a fair amount of time on Pinterest looking at all the awesome nail art that people can create and I decided to try to recreate a look from there.  I settled on this simple but gorgeous, Pocahontas nail art which can be seen here:  http://www.hairsprayandhighheels.net/2013/02/disney-princess-inspired-nails-2/?spref=tw 

I really love the simplicity of this Pocahontas inspired mani!  So I went on the hunt for the perfect polishes to complete this nail art and I came up with:


From left to right: Essie's "Sand Tropez", OPI's "Elephantastic Pink", China Glaze's "Sunday Funday", China Glaze's "Riveting", Sephora by OPI's "Iris I Was Thinner", and Sephora's Formula X in "Over The Moon."

I started out with a clear base coat (I use Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in "Invisible") and then added two coats of Essie's "Sand Tropez" to create the base for this nail art.  Before I added the gorgeous colors I applied a quick drying topcoat (I use Orly "Sec'N'Dry") so that I wouldn't have a lot of smudges.  Here is what my nails looked like:


(And if you want to see how I liked Essie's "Sand Tropez" here's the link: http://perfectlypolished12.blogspot.com/2014/04/essie-sand-tropez.html )

Next I took the four brightly colored polishes and a small paint brush (which I got at my local Wal-Mart for about $5 for a pack of 10 brushes) and began to draw lines of color.  I decided to go one color at a time because I only had one brush and had to stop and clean it between each color.  The small brush made it very easy to add thin stripes of color and I will definitely be using the brushes again soon!  Here's how my nails looked along the way:


Here is the pack of paint brushes I have for nail art.  Technically they are for paint, but they worked with nail polish and were easy to clean with polish remover.


Here is my work zone.  As you can see I used the polish removers cap as a small bowl for cleaning my brush.

And then here are my nails after I added the stripes:


After all four colors were added and had plenty of time to air dry I pulled out my micro glitter polish and applied a nice coat to the color stripes.  Formula X's "Over The Moon" is gorgeous and is the perfect glitter topcoat for this nail art!  It adds just enough shimmer but isn't too overwhelming!  Then I added the final coat of polish, which was another coat of Orly "Sec'N"Dry" to seal in the complete nail art.  Here's how my nails turned out:


Overall I think this Pocahontas themed mani is very pretty and fairly simple to complete.  Also since you do not have to match the colors for the stripes exactly it makes it easy to pick out a few of your favorite colors to use!  I had a fun time trying out this nail art and I definitely plan on trying some of the other Disney princess manicures shown in hairsprayandhighheels.net's post!

Thanks for reading my blog!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment